Animation and VFX industry is on boom all over the world including India. With the increasing demand in movies and games across the world, animation can turn out to be a dream career for many. If you are looking for something different and creative career option, animation is for you.
What is animation and VFX?
Everyone of you must have seen animated movies or shows. If not, you must have seen scenes which are created using animation or visual effects. Bahubali series is one of those where animation is used to shoot some amazing scenes.
Animation is the process of creating illusion of motion. Animators create characters with the help of graphics and putting sense of motion in those characters such that they feel like real life characters. Whereas VFX is the process of creating Visual effects. Some amazing places or scenes for which building set can not be feasible are shot in studios and then manipulated using VFX techniques.
Animation offers a variety of work profiles as an animators. You can choose one you like. Here are some jobs a animator does.
- 2D Animator – 2D animators create characters, storyboards, and backgrounds for animation in a two-dimensional space.
- 3D Animator – 3D Animators work with computer technology to digitally model and manipulate computer images. Your job is to make a flat image walk, talk, and bounce like a three-dimensional object.
- Modeller – A 3D modeler is a type of multimedia artist or animator who creates three-dimensional models or visuals of items using a variety of different computer software programs and tools.
- Character Animator – Character animators create and design characters using animation software, 3D modeling, 2D animations, and even puppetry. These creative professionals develop characters that use movement to tell a story, whether its for film, television, video games or mobile applications.
- Rendering Artist – Rendering in visual art and technical drawing means the process of formulating, adding color, shading, and texturing of an image.
- Layout Artist – As a layout artist you have to work with lightening and camera angles and background sketches.
- Image Artist – Making art is the most important thing that artists do.This may include installations, sculptures, paintings, drawings, pottery, performances, photographs, videos, or any other medium.
- Storyboard Artist – The storyboard presents the “action” in a series of scenes (panel by panel), which allows filmmakers, advertisers, and producers to evaluate the project before beginning production.
- Key Frame Animator – A keyframe is a drawing that corresponds to a key moment. A breakdown comes between keys to help the keyframe animator describe the action to in-between animators.
- Background Artist – A background artist or sometimes called a background stylist or background painter is one who is involved in the process of animation who establishes the color, style, and mood of a scene drawn by an animation layout artist.
Types of courses in Animation
Choosing a career is always a tricky task in the life of a student. The early we decide the better we can prepare for it. Similar is the case with animation, the early you choose to go for animation as career, early you can go to for and eventually for job. Animation courses do not require conventional schooling or degrees necessarily. There are courses available even after 10th standard. You can also study animation after 12th or after graduation.
There are certificates courses, diploma courses and degree courses in animation.
Some of the courses in animation are listed here.
- BA in Animation & Multimedia
- B.Sc. in Animation & Multimedia
- Bachelor of Visual Arts (Animation)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation, Graphics and Web Design
- BA in Animation and CG Arts
- BA in Animation and Graphic Design
- BA in Digital Filmmaking and Animation
- B.Sc. in Animation and VFX
- B.Sc. in Animation and Gaming
- Diploma in 2D Animation
- Diploma in 3D Animation
- Diploma in Digital Animation
- Diploma in CG Animation
- Diploma in Animation and Filmmaking
- Diploma in VFX
- Diploma in Animation and VFX
- Diploma in Animation, Video Editing and Post Production works
- Certificate in VFX
- Certificate in 2D Animation
- Certificate in 3D Animation
- Certificate in Editing, Mixing and Post Production Works
- Certificate in CG Arts
There are many institutes and colleges which provide these courses. Some of them are :
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC)
- Arena Multimedia
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts (ZICA)
- Global School of Animation
- Whistling Woods International Institute
- Tekno Point Multimedia
- Picasso Animation College
- Apeejay Institute of Design
- Toonz Webel Academy (TWA)
- Massco Media
Cost of Animation Course
A course in animation can cost Rs.50,000/- to Rs. 5,00,000/-. It depends on the courses and sub courses you choose.
Jobs Opportunities and Salary
As India’s animation industry is growing currently at the rate of 18%. With this pace ,as per the FICCI by 2020, Indian animation industry will reach to 23 billion. Increased demand of talent, a variety of job opportunities are here.
The job roles who are pursuing courses or degrees in animation and gaming are Graphic Designer, Web Designer, 2D/3D Animator, 2D/3D Designer, AV Editor, Technical Trainer, 3D Modeler, Multimedia Programmers, Compositors, Visualizers, Content Developers and Pre and Post Production executives in leading animation studios and entertainment companies.
With US and European studios outsourcing work to India, and Indian companies creating a number of animated films, series and cartoons, the future looks bright for creative animators.
In India, Junior animators or trainees could get between Rs. 8,000-15,000 per month. With three to five years experience they can earn Rs. 25,000- 40,000. A well-experienced animator who has a good portfolio of excellent animation work could easily get Rs. 50,000-60,000 per month.